<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2009-09-06

Obama as an Abusive Husband: UPDATED 

NO, I am not saying he's an abusive husband.

Besides, have you seen Michelle's arms? Did you see him throw out the first pitch? My guess is she could kick his ass.

No, I'm talking about the relationship between President Obama and the American people.

Patience--slipping into "metaphor mode" here.

The campaign was like the dating period. He seems really nice, he's charming, he has a great way with words. Never mind that he's never really held a long-term job--he's just trying to find himself. Besides, he's got this uncanny way of getting people to give him money!

And those crazy friends of his? Well, he'll grow out of them once he's got a few responsibilities. They're not really who HE is, they're just some guys he hangs out with and has a good time.
Once he has the love of a good woman (proverbially speaking) he'll drop them.

And, sure, occassionally he misspeaks--he says things like "spread the wealth" and "necessarily increase taxes". But you shouldn't read too much into those. He's just passionate and every once in a while his mouth gets out ahead of his brain.

Sure, my parents don't like him--they don't see all the potential in him. I just know he's capable of doing really great things, even if he's never accomplished a thing in his whole life. Besides, my brother who always looks out for me likes him, so he can't be all bad, right? (Never realizing that the brother was bought off by season tickets!)

He makes me feel safe, 'cuz he's never grumpy or mean like my old boyfriend. Of course, I don't think I can trust him to protect me in a barfight, BUT I WON'T NEED TO because everybody likes him so darn much. Why, I'll bet he could talk his way out of a UFC cage match with one of those really belligerent guys with no neck (and an underground nuclear program).

Now, it's a few months into the marriage, and the luster is wearing off. All that money he seemed to have? It turns out he's just as happy to be piling up the credit card, with no end in sight and absolutely no plan for paying it off. And the way with words? Sometimes, enough is enough, and too many words makes for too many empty promises.

And just last week, two of those crazy friends came to live with us! And he didn't even bother to ask--one day, they're suddenly there.

Those passionate misspeaks, it turns out, were more Freudian than accidental. He seems perfectly happy to make me work and work while he figures out ways to spend it, even though we've gotten some really good advice about how to make our money grow and last. At this rate, I'm going to need another job just to support his habits. I just wish he'd stop buying new cars!

Yesterday, my brother came to me and asked what I saw in the guy. I told him everything great about how I feel when he's around me and at his best, and he asked how often that was. Turns out it's not a lot, but when I asked him why he never said anything about it before, he just got all quiet and embarrassed.

And did I mention that when some punk stole my purse, he did nothing? The kid was bad news, you could see it a mile away, but he just ignored it. When I warned him I was worried, he just laughed at me; and when the kid started coming over, he even reached out give him "five." He never saw the danger coming. I was lucky it was just my purse, this time.

I don't know what I was thinking. The problem is, now he's transferred all the money controls into his name, so even if I wanted to leave there would be no way out for me. I'm scared of his friends, and they seem to be everywhere.

Oh, and here's the best part: he seems to go out of his way to make friends with people who HE KNOWS don't like me and don't want me to succeed, but seems completely willing to publicly insult my best friends.

Boy, do I feel stupid. I should have listened to my mom when she said "you can't pick a partner based on the hope that they will change."

Or something like that.

UPDATE: Well, one of the crazy friends just moved out. Everybody thinks it's my fault.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?