<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2008-09-01

The Speeches I Hope To Hear, . . . but won't 

McCain has ordered the convention to tone it down due to Hurricane Gustav.

Not sure how I feel about this. I think it's probably a good thing to do, if you assume that New Orleans cannot handle what's about to happen, and that it will become a tragedy. On the other hand, there is so far every indication that Bobby Jindal is handling this superbly, and that there will be minimal loss of life. This could be a wonderful opportunity squandered by an over-cautious expectation of trouble.

But, then again, if seriousness in handling major crises is to be the measure of the next President, I would prefer that he--McCain--err in this direction.

Still, I would have loved to see the visual of McCain calling out to Jindal on national TV and congratulating him demonstrating the powerful positive effects in people's lives of good governance.

For the record, Jindal ordered the mandatory evacuation on Saturday--two days in advance of the storm; Ray Nagin didn't order the evacuation of New Orleans until 10 am Sunday for Hurricane Katrina--less than 24 hours before landfall. Might have made a little difference.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?