<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2008-05-21

Why Republicans Are Losing, part I 

I'm not sure if this is going to be a nightly series, such as I do those (meaning every two or three nights, as I get around to it), or if I'm simply going to revisit it every once in a while. At any rate, I'm going to start off by drawing your attention to a very thorough analysis at a very smart website; it just so happens that that analysis is also of all the regions immediately surrounding the BD domicile.

So, what's the problem?

1. Messaging

. . .Hillman believes the Democrats have been successful because they “have been really good about figuring out what really appeals to unaffiliated voters. In the long run it’s a much better strategy compared to the Republican one that has focused on preaching to the choir and turning out Republicans.”. . .

2. Money

Toward the end of the [2004 State Senate] campaign, people were getting two or three mail pieces in support of my opponent from unions or outside organizations every day," said Corry. “We depended heavily on the support of small businesses, and we just couldn’t keep up with that pace, which probably cost them up to $30,000 a day.”

3. Messaging (oh, did I say that already?)

John Andrews: “In recent years, where Jeffco and my home county of Arapahoe have gone from reliable red to purple or blue, we haven’t done a good enough of a job of appealing to Reagan Democrats, . . . We need to be able to get our message out there in a more common-sense and less ideological way than we have been doing in recent years.”

Like I said, very thorough analysis, with fairly self-explanatory implications for candidates everywhere.

Like, oh I don't know . . . .TALK TO EVERYBODY, NOT JUST THE BASE; TALK TO THEM ABOUT KITCHEN TABLE ISSUES, NOT GOP MEAT AND POTATOES; KNOW WHAT MATTERS TO PEOPLE like the economy, stupid; like education, stupid;

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?