<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2008-05-16

Of Polar Bears, Judicial Activism, and The End Of All Things 

Not enough time to tonight to do the right kind of reading and thinking to write lucidly, so I'll just drop a few thoughts at you:

--We've seen in the past, in Massachussetts, how a decision by an out-of-control judiciary vis-a-vis gay marriage has galvanized the electorate and actually been a good thing for conservatives; I can only hope that the same dynamic works for ProtectMarriage.com and the rest of the election season.

--Once again, the Bush administration has demonstrated an unwillingness to fight the battles that need fighting, and allowed the Polar Bear to be listed as "threatened" by global warming. I don't know if they just ran out of steam, or if they were never that good at this, but got served up a hanging curveball in 2001. In either case, as much as I like this President, and admire him, I think his administration will go down in history as a TERRIBLE Republican administration. I don't see how it would be possible for them to regain their footing in the next 8 months.

--I've had a growing sense of foreboding for the last eighteen months or so, and not simply from a partisan Republican point of view. I will elaborate more on it over the weekend, but (as I wrote once before) unless we find a Churchill or a Reagan in the very near future, we're in for a long, bumpy ride.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?