<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2008-04-28

So, Who Would Be Lincoln? 

The Hillary Campaign sent this to the Obama Campaign yesterday [in part]:

But what I think the people of Indiana deserve is a real one-on-one debate where Senator Obama and I right there in Indiana discuss these issues. . . .

Unfortunately Senator Obama has not agreed yet and he's turned down every debate that has been offered. . . .

“So here's my proposal - I'm offering Senator Obama a chance to debate me one-on-one, no moderators.

“Just the two of us going for 90 minutes asking and answering questions.

“Remember that's what happened during the Lincoln-Douglas debates. We've had four debates between Senator Obama and myself. That's all we've had since this whole campaign has gone on, we've had debates when other candidates were in, but just four between the two of us. Lincoln and Douglas I think had something like seven or maybe even eight debates. . .

Well, she imagined sniper fire--maybe she'll start imagining men sneaking up behind her in the theater, too.

Just for grins, maybe the two of them should look up the Lincoln-Douglas debates to see how they tackled the issues of the day. Sadly for them, they might just discover that those two giants had something today's Democrats sorely lack: a set of principles.

And, while he's trying to stay relevant, John McCain should very publicly accept Hillary's invitation. As I counseled a couple months ago, he could do the world a world of good by taking part in the debate and steering the conversation to important issues, and away from the silly tripe that passes for Democrat "debate" these days.

In the meantime, what are we to make of Sen. Obama's courage, when he complains about a single difficult question in the last debate, and then dodges a meeting with his chief opponent. I suspect the Russians and the Saudis are a bit more difficult in negotiations--he seems to want to wear his unpreparedness on his sleeve.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?