<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2008-04-08

NOT Rice for Veep 

Start from here:

“Condi Rice has been actively, actually in recent weeks, campaigning for this,” Senor said this morning on “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.”

Let me open the commentary by saying how much I like and respect Secretary Rice. This is a brilliant and talented lady, who has served the President and her country with distinction. Sure, she's been less effective that I would have hoped at State, but that's a bigger problem than anybody realizes, I think. And besides, she's a very accomplished classical pianist--gotta love that.

That said, she would be a terrible choice for Veep. She doesn't bring any state along with her, her issue set is the same as the Presidential nominee's, she's never won an election or done the fundraising circuit, and she is still identified with the current administration--not really something that's likely to help in the Fall. She would be chosen for one reason and one reason only: the color of her skin.

I hate to say it that way, but I think that's the way it is. Secretary Rice would be an enormous asset to any administration; but not in this capacity.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?