<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2008-03-09

Brilliant Strategery?? 

About four weeks ago I wrote this:

Now a confidential memo to one of their advisers suggests that it would take contributions of nearly $12 million to finance independent political groups trying to influence the outcome of the presidential, U.S. Senate and 4th Congressional District races.

Yep, you read that right: TWELVE frickin' MILLION dollars!

That's enough to even choke up me, and I watch politics pretty closely. $12 million shouldn't sound like a lot of money to political watchers, but when you're on the other side of that $12 million, it seems like a WHOLE LOT of money.

Note that phrase "confidential memo." Why would an internal, speculative memo between a couple operatives make it into the light of day to be reported by mainstream media?

And, then I remember Clausewitz. Overwhelming force. And then I remember Sun Tzu. All warfare is deception.

If I didn't have the money to fund an overwhelming campaign, but wanted the other side to think I did, what would I do? And what would I expect to be the response?

In the face of an "overwhelming campaign," isn't it logical that candidate recruitment might be depressed on the other side? Perhaps that explains my previous post.

On the other hand, maybe Tim Gill and Pat Stryker really have the $12 million, but now they can concentrate it more narrowly to accomplish their ends.

Great. Either way, it feels like our side got out-maneuvered.

Luckily, we still have better ideas and good candidates. We're just going to have to work it, and work it hard.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?