<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2007-12-05

Perlmutter, the Eloquent 

Er . . . NOT.

Over Thanksgiving, MY Congressman, Ed Perlmutter, went to visit the troops in Iraq. Here is what he had to say upon his return.

“I believe the pressure Congress has put on the President to end the war is causing the Iraqi leaders to say it’s time to get down to business and take control of their own country.

“The Iraqis control their own destiny. It is time to transition power to the Iraqi army, begin multi-national reconstruction and political reconciliation, and redeploy our troops home as soon as practicable.

“Transition of power to the Iraqi Police is still a point of concern, and the Iraqi Army still must grow and learn.

“I will continue to work to redeploy our National Guard and Reservists home to focus them on their local mission, rather than fighting in the war zone.

“This was probably the most interesting trip of my life.”

To paraphrase:

--In spite of multiple attempts on my part and on the part of Congressional Democrats to declare surrender and to run away from Iraq, the security situation is so good that I'm not even going to comment on it. In fact, the Iraqis actually seem to be making progress now that there's security.

--And, um . . . . it's about time!

--So, now I can focus on the less popular elements of the military deployment and at least get them to retreat so they can do their weekend warrior-ing like they're supposed to.

--This didn't go at all how I had planned.


Or something like that.

You can almost hear the cognitive dissonance in his [poor] written voice.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?