<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2007-10-31

An Interview Worth Reading 

I missed this yesterday when it was first run, but was fortunate to stumble across it tonight. For any of you interested in affairs of the soul, you should read what Cardinal Stafford has to say on a few topics.

Among my favorites:

Q: The world was both puzzled and fascinated by the accounts of Blessed Mother Teresa's "dark night of the soul" — not that she lost her faith, but that she lost the comforting feelings that God was there. Have you ever experienced that, and if so, how was it resolved?

A: When I was a young priest I read and memorized part of the 13th chapter of the Ascent of Carmel by St. John the Cross. It has remained a foundation for my life. In sum, it says, "To come to be all, desire to be nothing. To come to know all, desire to know nothing etc." It is that kind of distinction that John of the Cross has made that is foundational to understanding the spiritual life of Mother Teresa.


Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?