<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2007-06-04

I Wish They Would Have Had A Chance To Fumble This Question

I had the unfortunate experience of watching the first 90 minutes of the Democrats' debate tonight.

Yeah, I'm sorry, too. But I had to do the checkbook, anyway, so what's a little more pain on top of that?

At any rate . . .

Then, before checking out for the night, I notice this story from the AP. Here's the first paragraph; read it and tell me if you notice something, oh, interesting about this story and its relationship to the debate.

A convicted drug dealer who agreed to pose as a wannabe terrorist among a shadowy group now accused of plotting to blow up John F. Kennedy International Airport secretly fed information to federal investigators in exchange for a lighter sentence.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Probably not. And you should be happy--if any of your brains worked the same way mine does, you would have cause for deep concern.

But let me put my thoughts in the form of an obvious question Wolf Blitzer should have asked tonight but didn't, and let's see if it becomes more clear.

WOLF: Candidates: according to rules set up by a previous Democratic administration, United States intelligence services were not allowed to deal with "unsavory" characters in the pursuit of information. By one strict interpretation of that rule, the information discovered by a person like the informant who infiltrated the Guyana 4--a convicted drug dealer--would have been unusable or inaccessible to American authorities. Do you agree or disagree with the policy of the previous administration? And, tell us, what sort of rules and guidelines would your administration put in place regarding the character of individuals American authorities rely on for information?

Based on their answers to some of the foreign policy questions posed tonight, this could have led to an inadvertantly hilarious exchange of dodging and moral posturing. But I'm pretty sure Bill Richardson would have found a way to tell us that he was the Governor of New Mexico.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?