<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2007-05-31

Welcome to the Party, Hugh

I noticed that Hugh Hewitt has come to the conclusion that Fred Thompson may not be a likely savior for the GOP's hopes in 2008. The logic: Thompson is a Southerner, a plain-spoken, folksy, slow-moving gentleman who exudes a simple charm.

Sound like anybody familiar?

Hugh's concern is that the 2008 election will be one for change--anybody but Bush.

Not to toot my own horn, but here's something I wrote not too long ago (April 2nd, to be precise):

What I think the electorate is going to look long and hard at for 2008 is the aura of competence and intellect--even brilliance, if someone can pull it off without seeming arrogant--coupled with easy personability, but not necessarily approachability.

Of course, at the time I failed to note the similarities between Bush and Thompson--I guess I assumed Thompson could pull off the Watergate- and television-lawyer role, and wouldn't fall so easily into "Grandpa Fred". And it remains to be seen if he can.

So even the right analysis--or at least one backed up by far more knowledgable people (Hugh)--sometimes leads to the wrong conclusion.

Nonetheless, whatever else happens in 2008, every candidate who really wants to win will be smart, informed, eloquent, and sharp.

Not "folksy".

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?