<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2007-05-18

Let This Paean Inform Your Opinion of "The Deal"

There's so much wrong with this article that I don't know where to begin. So I'll just post some of the crucial lines and, you know, go from there.

Manuel Aragon is hopeful he'll soon be able to stop looking over his shoulder.

As with all humans, isn't this sort of worry the conscience's way of telling us we're doing something wrong?

Aragon, who has been living in Colorado illegally for the past 23 years, said he watches for police every time he drives to and from his construction job. . . .

"I've been living here illegally since Jan. 6, 1984. I can't get a driver's license. I can't get a work permit.

But, wait . . . If he can't get a driver's license, and he can't get a work permit, then WHAT THE #%&! IS HE DOING DRIVING TO WORK?! I suppose that also means he can't get insurance, which means that when he hits me and kills my child, I'm just SOL.

Aragon said that adding more border patrols or a fence would only cause more deaths in the desert.

"That's unjust. Many people die trying to cross through dangerous sites.


Yes. Many other people die trying to rob banks or trying to steal cars. The point is that doing something ILLEGAL is inherently dangerous, so when you undertake such an action, it is part and parcel of the act that is could turn out bad.

"I hope something does happen so that I don't have to risk getting picked up by immigration."

like he's been doing for the last 23 years.

When the Rocky Mountain News comes right out of the gates with a tribute to a seemingly nice, hard-working illegal to make a sympathetic point about "The Deal," then you know that the full-court public relations press is going to be on in the media and elsewhere.

And, by the way, where is the interview with the other population of illegals? You know, the ones who are behind bars and populating the gangs on the streets of Denver? Where is that interview?

In the meantime, those of us who find it, at best, ODD, that the Rocky Mountain News would use this opportunity to give print space to a felon, are likely to get pretty well screwed in this whole deal.

"Doinked with our pants on" is the way one TV character put it, I believe.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?