<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2007-01-26

I Really Didn't Want to Blog Tonight

Honestly, I wanted to take the night off, watch a couple episodes of "24," and get ready to make my way into the weekend.

And then I read this:

Sen. John McCain announced Thursday he will try to set benchmarks for ending the violence.

"I'm trying to put something together that exercises congressional oversight that would provide some comfort to the American people and that certain benchmarks are being met as far as measuring progress or lack of progress is concerned," McCain, R-Ariz., a potential 2008 presidential competitor, said of the resolution he is crafting.

I'm not sure how it is possible that a man like John McCain does not understand that the ONLY benchmark that means anything at all is victory--total, absolute, and without condition.

But, as usual, John McCain can be counted on for nothing if not finding a way to insert himself squarely into the spotlight of whatever important conversation is ongoing, and finding a way to guarantee that HIS INTERESTS are served.

I have written before that I believe John McCain is pathologically unsuitable to be the President; I would add this little episode as Exhibit . . . Q in this demonstration.

I think John McCain has read the tea leaves, saw the fundraising success Mitt Romney had a couple weeks ago, noticed that FoxNews (assumedly what the base was watching) and the Today Show turned first to Rudy Guiliani for SOTU reaction and has come to the conclusion that he will never be the Republican nominee for President in 2008. Which means he has nothing to gain by keeping the base happy.

Which means John McCain intends to split from the Republican Party and run as an Independent candidate for President in 2008.

Whither goest the Whig . . . ?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?