<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2006-12-20

Blockbuster

That's really the only word to describe what the Nuggets managed to pull off today in trading for the services of Allan Iverson.

Yes, I know--this is not politics. Get over it.

I think this has huge upside for the Nuggets. We gave up Andre Miller, a player with good leadership skills and adequate offensive abilities to get a player who CAN play the point guard, though it will certainly look different than we're used to. Frankly, I just need Iverson to think "pass first" about 50% of the time for me to see him as an effective point--he always looked to score in Philly because noone else could! Here, maybe we'll get to see some amazing playmaking abilities to complement his scoring.

We also gave up a deep bencher and a couple draft picks to get another deep bencher. Not a big loss there; sure, those two draft picks could have been big, but they're likely to be later in the first round, and Nuggets aren't really a rookie away from being a contender--they're an Iverson away.

And let me make it clear that I don't really like Allan Iverson. I see him and the words "prima donna" LEAP into my brain. I think, in many ways, he epitomizes everything that is wrong with the NBA.

But I'm willing to give him a chance. He's never been on a team where he wasn't the only viable offensive option--he may be better at this "team" thing than we know.

At any rate, it'll certainly be fun to watch when he's in a good mood. And 'Melo's not too busy bitch-slapping other players and whining to the officials to play some serious ball. It will certainly be fun to watch.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?