<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2006-10-19

Another Example Of Why John McCain CANNOT Be President

McCain before his favorite constituency, Chris Mathews:

I think that gay marriage should be allowed, if there‘s a ceremony kind of thing, if you want to call it that. I don‘t have any problem with that, but I do believe in preserving the sanctity of a union between man and woman.”

And then two minutes later, after the commercial break, and [presumably] a quick debrief with his Presidential campaign advisors:

On the issue of the gay marriage, I believe that people want to have private ceremonies, that‘s fine. I do not believe that gay marriages should be legal."

The issue here isn't gay marriage. There are a great many people who think gay marriage should be legal--I disagree with them, but holding that position does not disqualify someone from consideration for being President.

At issue is McCain's nearly pathological tendency to say reckless and even stupid things off the cuff when he's trying to please the media. There is no more dangerous place in Washington than between John McCain and a television camera--in fact, one report had another John McCain moment (on, of all places, Hardball) as the real catalyst behind the Gang of 14.

This is not the sort of man that I want as President.

Great American, honorable man . . . lousy Republican. Dangerous legislator.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?