<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2006-08-09

A Rarity: A Good Night Of Predictions For Me

Well, okay; let's be honest--I didn't exactly PREDICT anything last night. However, I did, I think, make my preferences known, and they seem to have worked out pretty well today.

Lieberman Loses--Three-term Sen. Joe Lieberman fell to anti-war challenger Ned Lamont in Connecticut’s Democratic primary Tuesday, a race seen as a harbinger of sentiment over a conflict that has claimed the lives of more than 2,500 U.S. troops.

Unbowed, Lieberman immediately announced he would enter the fall campaign as an independent.

It was, however, far closer than anybody predicted: 52-48 is not exactly the NutRoots landslide hoped for and predicted by the goofballs on the Left. It is also a close enough result to completely justify Lieberman's independent run in the fall.

Which will occupy a lot of energy and resources on the left. Which will be spending the next four weeks trying to explain how what happened tonight is not some sort of a "purge."

Heh.

Perlumutter Wins CD7 Primary In another lurch to the Left, Democrats in the 7th district have picked the candidate described by the Post's analyst as "a Democrat's Democrat". I find it hard to believe that, in this split district which has twice elected Bob Beauprez (once easily, once by like 37 votes), a man that far to the left can be elected.

Whatever my beliefs on the matter, this is a brilliant move by the O'Donnell campaign. Seize the initiative, man.

My One Disappointment: Lamborn Wins CD5 Primary Two hours ago, when I stepped away from the computer for a while, it looked like Jeff Crank was going to take this one. But then they counted the absentee votes and Lamborn pulled it out by 1,400 votes.

Oh, well. Can't account for everything, I suppose. You have to wonder if the smear campaign by the Christian Coalition for Colorado had spewed their bile two weeks earlier if it would have changed the absentee vote results.

Oh, and, by the way, Cynthia McKinney got handed her walking papers by the voters in the Georgia 4th. And, in a surprise move, she immediately complained about voting fraud. Gotta love a woman with that much class.

So we come out of primary night with the Dems lurching to the left, and a safe Colorado district being driven through the mud. Not a pretty picture for the country.

I like how John Hinderacker put it: Some Republicans think a Lamont win will be a good thing, demonstrating how far off the rails the Democratic Party has gone. Not me. This is no time for partisanship. These days, I feel like a character in Invasion of the Body-Snatchers, with my fellow citizens turning into pods in alarming numbers. I'd like some reassurance that the pod people aren't yet a majority, even among Democrats.

I agree with the sentiment; I also can't help but think that the body snatchers are here.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?