<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2006-04-12

Warning: Wandering Off The Reservation

I don't know. Maybe it's just a lack of sleep; or perhaps that I finally just finished watching "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"; or perhaps this guy just scares the Hell out of me. But, at any rate, I'm about to bring your attention to things that, while I don't really buy into, do show a startling bit of similarity.

Let me just back that up a little more. I was raised Catholic, and I now attend an Evangelical Covenant Church--neither buys into the Eschatology thing, that it's possible to read into Revelations and predict the End Times. In fact, "It is not given to us to know the time and the place; [He] will come like a thief in the night" is one of the lessons my father taught that really stuck with me (though, perhaps, a bit syntactically challenged). So if it seems like I'm out of my depth, believe me, I'm also rolling my eyes at me.

That said:

From a Christian perspective--

Book of Ezekiel, 39:2-5: nations of the north attack Israel, to their destruction
Mahmoud Ahmedinijad: The Iranian leader has recently denied the Holocaust, called for the complete destruction of Israel,
Oh, and, then there's this: Iran has successfully enriched uranium

With a Catholic twist--

The Prophecies of Malachy:
the last four Popes are
--"Of the half moon"; Pope John Paul I served for only 34 days, from roughly one half-moon to the next (and, by the way, predicted his own death and Karol Wotyjla's ascension)
--"Of the eclipse of the sun"; Pope John Paul II was born on the day of a solar eclipse, and his funeral occured on the day of a solar eclipse
--"Of the Glory of Olives"; Pope Benedict XVI took his name to honor Benedict XV, who was famous for peace and reconciliation (admittedly this is a stretch, but he's only been Pope for a little while--he could see the reconciliation of Rome with the Eastern Church (??(you know, olive branch)))
--"Peter the Roman", who will see the destruction of Rome and the judgment day

From Islam--

In a speech on November 16th, Ahmadinejad spoke of his belief in the return of the Twelfth Imam. One of the differences between Sunni and Shi’ite Islam is that the latter, who dominate Iran and form the majority in Iraq, believe that Allah shielded or hid Muhammad al-Mahdi as the Twelfth Imam until the end of time. Shi’ites expect the Twelfth Imam, which Jews and Christians would recognize as a messianic figure, to return to save the world when it had descended into chaos.

And did I mention that Iran has enriched uranium?

Like I said, I don't really believe this stuff.

I'm just saying . . . weird.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?