<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2005-04-09

A Confession

As much as I tried to stay up last night, I could only make it through about two hours of the coverage. In much he same way as my worst days growing up, I fell asleep in the middle of the Homily (roughly 3 am). So tonight I'm watching the video of the Mass.

And the one, overwhelming impression I have is of the complete inadequacy of television to convey the scope and solemnity of this moment. TV has adapted to and does a pretty good job with things like the Super Bowl and the Inauguration, but it is helped along by our familiarity with the venues for such events. I just get too little sense for the massiveness of two million people in a Mass from the television--I think the medium is wholly unequipped to convey the size of the Basilica, of St. Peter's Square, and of the crowds which have gathered there.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?