<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2004-09-01

RNC

I only got to watch bits and pieces of tonight's convention festivities. But, reading the text of the speeches I havve a few impressions.

First, Zell Miller is a man. He speaks with a passion and an eloquence that often escapes Republicans, including the President. And, in much the same way that only an immigrant (Schwarzenegger) could make the case for America as a great beacon of hope, perhaps only an ex-patriot Democrat could effectively make the case against the fever-swamps on the left.

My favorite line: following the litany of defense systems John Kerry voted against, This is the man who wants to be the Commander in Chief of our U.S. Armed Forces? U.S. forces armed with what? Spitballs?

Unfortunately, that sort of humor was lacking the rest of the night. It was, to my eyes, a very grim evening.

And, of course, the main issues of the day are rather grim. I can see how putting a serious face on this election might be the best way to go about this; on the other hand, as C.S. Lewis counseled, the one thing the bad guys can't stand is mockery. For my money, a few more laughs would have been nice.

Not like a roast, mind you. Just lots of humor spinkled in amongst the red meat.

But, what do I know?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?