<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2004-09-03

The President's Speech

First, the bad news: at about the 50 minute mark, I started to comment to my wife that this was a bit too long. And the President went on for about another 12 minutes. Even the line about the New York Times couldn't quite break the impression of lengthiness.

But that's it for that section. On just about every other count I thought the President hit a towering home run. He was sincere, self-deprecating, emotionally connected to his audience, and at ease. So if it ran a little long, I guess that's just the leisurely trip around the bases of a hitter who's been there before.

My favorite parts will be no surprise--I think they're everyone's favorite parts. Of course the section of the speech where he talked about the mothers and wives of fallen soldiers who expressed their prayers on his behalf was touching and heartfelt. I don't doubt that those events actually happened, and I don't doubt in the least that they truly moved the President (even tonight almost to tears). This line sums up the optimism and love of country that John Kerry can only feign: I am awed that so many have used those meetings to say that I am in their prayers - to offer encouragement to me. Where does strength like that come from? How can people so burdened with sorrow also feel such pride? It is because they know their loved one was last seen doing good. Because they know that liberty was precious to the one they lost. And in those military families, I have seen the character of a great nation: decent, and idealistic, and strong.

I always love a little self-deprecating humor, and the President did not disappoint: You may have noticed I have a few flaws, too. People sometimes have to correct my English - I knew I had a problem when Arnold Schwarzenegger started doing it. Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called "walking."

And, in what may have been the most well-delivered and appropriate shot across the bow of John Kerry: Again, my opponent takes a different approach. In the midst of war, he has called America's allies, quote, a "coalition of the coerced and the bribed." That would be nations like Great Britain, Poland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark, El Salvador, Australia, and others - allies that deserve the respect of all Americans, not the scorn of a politician.

Of course, the laundry list at the beginning sounded like a laundry list, but I think the President was fairly effective at framing it in terms of creating for people the conditions to increase their own freedom--financial freedom. "The Ownership Society" may not be an easy concept to get the intellecual arms around, but it is a strong message that resonates, especially with bold, young entrepeneurs. I also like the transformational elements of reforming the tax code, acknowledging the changed nature of the workforce, and creating infrastructure to adapt to that nature.

Oh, and, by the way, John Kerry was pathetic in his "Democratic Response." He's called for weekly debates, he's shaken up his team, he's turning out for strange and unscheduled events--I think he senses the walls closing in.

And all the while the President has been, well, Presidential. I might even start to buy in to Hugh's idea of a 40-state victory.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?