<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2004-06-16

On A Completely Different Note. . .

A friend of mine has a theory for how you decide what home projects to undertake. You try to look at it objectively, and decide how many beers it's going to take you to get the job done. For instance, mowing the lawn is clearly a one beer project; re-roofing the house all by yourself is a many, many beers project. His idea is that anything over a six-pack, and you either try to give yourself an unlimited window of time for completion, or you call in an expert.

For the past two-and-a-half weeks I've been deeply immersed in a kitchen re-model. Looking at it objectively, I figured on a six to eight beer project (this estimation plays into another theme: lack of expertise). Two weeks later, it still looks like a six to eight beer project, and I've done quite a lot of work. Of course, some of it was bad work and work I've had to go back and re-do (there's that expertise thing, again), but I've been bustin' my hump on this project, and it still looks gruesome. The only positive I can see so far is that it is quite a different color, and my wife an I have managed to work in close spaces together without killing each other for many days now.

This silliness really adds to my respect for Jonathan, whose own remodel of his house looks like something on a reality TV show (no, not those. . .the nice ones).

No real point to this post. Just had to get that off my chest. I'll be in a better mindset to contribute to the Coors/Shaffer/Hewitt debate in a couple more days. Until then, pour me another cold one and hand me the caulk.

I wonder if there's a connection between beer consumption and lack of expertise. . .

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?