<$BlogRSDUrl$>

My personal musings about anything that gets on my radar screen--heavily dominated by politics.

2004-05-22

Report From CD7 Convention

Went to the 7th Congressional District GOP Convention today. Interesting event. Of course, I saw Ben and his lovely wife, there working for Bob Schaffer. Really not all that many people there (maybe 500), and it was all done and under wraps by noon.

Of course, the big business was to nominate Bob Beauprez as the GOP candidate in CD7. Kinda a foregone conclusion, so not a lot of drama. However, Beauprez gave a very effective stump speech (he's gotten a lot better in the last two years) which had both raw meat for the party faithful and the sort of optimistic vision-thing that could easily break through to independents. He also gave a fiery acceptance speech that drew very clear distinctions between the GOP and the Dems, and made the point that nothing is for granted this time around and the only thing that could assure victory for our ideas was hard work. Pretty impressive.

The most interesting thing, at least to me, were the two speeches by the candidates for Senate. Both Bob Schaffer and Pete Coors were given the opportunity to speak, and there are pretty clear differences. First and foremost, Pete Coors is not used to the stump yet. His speech was disorganized, sounded unrehearsed, and was, frankly, kinda amateurish. But he comes across as a nice guy with an interest and a passion, if not experience. Schaffer, on the other hand, was well-represented by an organization on the scene, had a solid speech which he delivered with authority, and is clearly the more polished candidate. He also came out swinging--his third line was "I'm the only conservative in this race." I think it was obvious that he has the support of the activist faithful in the room, and he seemed to announce his intention to run to the right.

Which doesn't help my dilemma at all. I do think--and no offense to Ben or anyone else out there--that this Senate seat is too damned important to get hung up on the perfect at the expense of the good. I am very much a Hugh Hewitt Republican on this one--I will support the most conservative candidate that can win. So, though his credentials are good and he has polish, I remain unconvinced that an unapologetic conservative can win state-wide election in Colorado with the DSCC and its surrogates planning on pumping $12-15 million into the state. I know, I know. . .what about Bill Owens? Well, first of all, let's keep in mind that he's run against a couple warm bodies lateley, and that his unapologetic conservatism lost the GOP control of the State Senate in 2000. Also keeping in mind that neither Allard or Campbell are traditional, right-wing Republicans, and I'm concerned that a Schaffer candidacy meets the same fate as the Bill Simon candidacy in California in 2002. On the other hand, if this seat is that important, do you really want to turn it over to an amateur? Coors has simply got to convince me that he has more going for him than massive personal wealth, and today he was not up to the task.

So I remain undecided in the Senate race. I think my tendency is going to be give Coors the benefit of the doubt and hope he can get his feet under him. If he can't by primary time, then I'll support Schaffer.

And, more importantly, work to get him elected. Like I said, I'm one issue on this one. . .

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?